Oliver + S

Contrast belt opinions wanted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I have 2 yards of mustard yellow twill that I want to use for a Secret Agent trench coat. I can cut everything out except for the facings and the belt. Would a contrast belt look strange? I could tie it in by using buttons that match the color of the belt. I looked online for pictures of trench coats with different colored belts but didn’t find much so I’m still on the fence.

I’m making view A for my middle girl.;) Opinions appreciated!

Cindy

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What about a very deep plum or indigo? Alternatively, how about a color very close in value, in a color like pumpkin or sage?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi
    LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I think it could be really cute with the tie and buttons pulling the look together, or even like Sarvi’s last example with piping.

*If* you like bold colors (you know I do!), my favorite pairing with mustard is raspberry, though this is more hot pink than raspberry: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52761227@N04/9974306704/in/set-72157630670704608/

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I love mustard paired with that deep eggplant purple, or raspberry (love that outfit, B) – but not sure about using it for a belt (yes with the facings though) – you could always make one of each colour and see 🙂

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy
    LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

How about a mustard stripe for the belt, or a leather belt with leather buttons? Or skip the belt entirely. You could put an interior casing with elastic at the back waist if you want to draw it in a little w/o the belt. If you do a contrast belt, maybe also do contrast sleeve tabs to tie it all together?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I love all those color pairings!

I wish I could find more of the mustard Lisette twill but even a search through etsy and ebay didn’t turn any up. I suppose I could look at my local fabric store for a Kona cotton in the same color since I have enough of the twill for everything but the belt and facings.

I’m doing my best to only use stash fabrics. I have a lovely teal twill that I’m considering using but I’m having doubts about the bold contrast. I might have enough of a poplin print that has that same mustard yellow in it. I really should take pictures…perhaps tomorrow.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If I were making a contrast belt I would also do contrast pockets, cuff flaps or at least buttons to help pull it all together 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I like contrast belt idea, and I think teal sounds amazing!

I, personally, would have just the belt as contrast and have neutral buttons, black, bone or leather. Consider a buckle rather then a tie. I made one for Tildy with a vintage buckle Karen sent me https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/9689562427/in/set-72157632815351345

If the jacket is worn, buttoned up, you won’t notice the contrast facing.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Ahhh, my apologies Cindy – missed that you don’t have enough…go for the contrast 🙂

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Thanks for all the help with deciding what fabric to use and for the input (on Flickr and Instagram) for the button choice. Over 3 weeks later and the jacket is finally done! I’ve posted a picture to Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/q14C1A

Eventually I’ll do a blog post about it. Time for sewing/blogging (and being an active part of the online community of sewists!) is in short supply these days. I’m working part time during the day while the kids are in school. I didn’t fully appreciate all the time I had on my hands when I was a stay at home mom until I didn’t have it anymore!

Cindy

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It looks great Cindy.
    Stunning colour.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Thanks, Nicole!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.