Oliver + S

Cinema dress in knit fabric?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • LINK
    dblong @dblong

I made the cinema dress this week with some unidentified lightweight cotton fabric I had in my stash- it came out great, but I love the feel and weight of some of my Effie’s Heart knit dresses and was wondering if the cinema dress could work in a light to medium weight cotton/spandex or cotton/lycra fabric… Since I have never actually sewn an adult garment with knit fabric, I don’t know exactly which knit to use either, but was hoping someone had some pointers or had already given it a try?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I find that most woven patterns *can* be made in a knit with some care.

I wouldn’t use anything too stretchy, it may bag or sag. If seam are stretching you can iron a little fusible interfacing to stabilise them before sewing.

Be careful handling the fabric as big pieces can stretch.

If you can, lay your fabric out the night before and let it ‘relax’ on the cutting table.

I am still a little nervous of knits but I find treating them a serious fabric (not a quick sew) I am getting some great results.

Good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.