Oliver + S

Can't decide!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Someone tell me it will be ok and go back to my book!

I have 2 pairs of sleepover patterns on the cutting table. I want to use some out of print fabric, so I want Maria to be able to wear them a few years. I think technically she is in between size 4 and 5, but I can’t decide if I should make a size 6, and adjust the elastic as needed? Or just make a 5? (She’s worn her 4’s for the last 2 years at least and they are just now way too short. )

But the 6s might be a touch too long right now.

I’ve been sick for a week, and dh is on a business trip until thursday. I should just go back to bed and wait for pretty fabric to show up at my door while in my cough suryp induced indecisions. (Haha I had to order the trim for one of my pj pairs).

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Ah if only we could predict their growth spurts.

I made my 6y4m old girl a size 6 and needed to fold the cuffs up on both the pants and shirt when finished but 7m later the cuffs are folded out and they still show her ankles! Arms don’t grow quite as fast thankfully.

My take from this is to make them slightly bigger, so a size 5 in your case, and if you get 2 years wear it is a bonus.

Also it may be a good idea to check length and make sure cuffs folded up on the pants are almost scrapping the floor.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Yeah that’s what I am thinking.

I should say, the 4s have been short for awhile…..but it was summer and didnt matter lol. She is mostly all legs.

After consulting the finished measurements with her measurements, I think I should go with a 6, but double check the cuff as you said. Her outseam is running 24inches, where size 5 is 25.25 inches and size 6 is 27.5 inches. But I am unsure if that is folded cuff or full unfolded cuff lol.

As the 5 everywhere else is spot on for her measurements. She has a tiny waist, but that can be fixed with elastics as I said before lol.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

That you are even seriously thinking of this project while you are unwell, Jess, is real heroism! And yes, I know about the vivid dreams consequent on certain types of cough syrup. I made 3 sets in different sizes of SO pj’s a couple of years ago. It’s such a roomy pattern allover that it often looks longer on kids even the leggy ones. You could make the pants the length you think you need or slightly longer, and add the cuffs last after you’ve tried them on, and sorted the waist elastic. Just a thought.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Well, I should officially be the poster child for not sewing while sick.

After looking at the pattern pieces, I decided to cut size 5 with 6 length, since she always outgrows length first.

Yeah, I wasnt payong attention and thought I cut the waistband, and instead trimmed off my added length. Size 5 it is! Lol.

And now I cant fet the pant lwgs to match up. When i match the notches, the ends at crotch and ankle dont align.

Yay.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

My pictures hate me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.