Oliver + S

Button overlap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Just finished the Forest Path Cape and it’s darling. Haven’t yet don’t the buttons, but notice that when the front and back of the cape are aligned at the side seams, the button plackets do not overlap but lay adjacent to each other. Is this correct? When I overlap the two center edges, it will pull each front side towards the front a bit. Does this make sense? Just wondering if this is by design or if I’ve done something wrong.

Also, I made the cape out of wool. Should I expect any trouble with frating when I sew the buttonholes?

Thank you!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is correct Kelly, Liesl answered that question herself a few weeks back. 🙂

Try doing the buttonholes twice if you are at all concerned.

Good luck.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I go over my buttonholes with fray check after sewing, and wait 24 hours before cutting them open.

(And then I sacrifice a chicken, dance a pentacle-shaped pattern on my sewing room floor, and burn all the clipped threads from the project in an offering to the sewing gods, because buttonholes make me nervous.)

They have always been fine.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Thank you both! I will be brave and conquer the buttonholes! And as for the alignment of the front center buttons vs the side seams, it’s supposed to not lay perfectly flat?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Ellen, I’m going to add your ritual to my buttonhole making regime. : )

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes Kelly, I wish I could find the other thread to reassure you.

If you think about it, your back is broader.

Ellen, that is great!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.