Oliver + S

blizzard sewing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I find myself between projects conveniently when we’re supposed to be getting a big nor’easter tomorrow. I know I’m not the only one here in the path of the storm! What do you all have planned?

Here, there’s a cut of linen sweater knit waiting for me. I’m not really a knit sewing person, but I recently did some costumes in knit and the cardigan in the inaugural issue of Seamwork really caught my eye. So, I just used up all the printer paper in the house to print off 46pages! It might be a miracle if I actually tape all that junk together and trace it off. I think it’s well documented how I feel about PDFs. Watch it not even snow after all that work and I have to run around for the usual Tuesday stuff.

Wouldn’t it be a great small business to print those out on workable tissue for you? Like Spoonflower does? Seriously.

What do the rest of you snow bound bunnies have lined up?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Snow sounds so exciting to me, but I gather the mud that comes with it is not so beautiful.

Stay safe Melanie!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I finished sweeping up the detritus of a huge project yesterday, and this blizzard has me prepped to make a Lullaby Layette (and maybe a few diapers) for my nephew coming in March. I am excited, tiny tiny little manclothes.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Mud isn’t such a huge issue in the city! Rather dogs. Dog people don’t feel they need clean up after their animals if it’s cold, so when the snow melts there is quite a lot left behind. Yucky.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Why, how do you feel about PDFs?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

😉

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So much for the great blizzard of 2015! But schools are nevertheless closed, so there’s still a little extra sewing time. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
    Attachments:
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Looks like the worst of it never materialized, everybody stay safe!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Epic weather man fail! We had about 1 whole inch. The kids were seriously disappointed actually. At least I had helpers with the cleaning! Which gave me time to cut out this sweater. I might even be able to sew it up, actually, as it’s a really simple pattern.

It did take 3 hours last night to print, piece, trim, tape and then trace the pattern onto a workable medium. But I won’t go there.

LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

Aren’t weather reporters funny? So much of my Facebook feed is about the blizzard fail. Here in coastal Massachusetts we have about 3 feet of snow. We won’t be having anyone over for a while as our street has become a single lane due to snowbanks.

I made art museum trousers for my nephew while it snowed. I just need his inseam length so I can finish them.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

we did not get much (only about 7″), so we used the snow day to get pancakes and go sledding… bad for my sewing but fun for the family!

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Up here, foothills of the Adirondacks, we avoided the snow when a cold dry arctic blast came through and moved the snow 75 miles east. No sewing though. We are retired and thus only have a small farm so storm preps means hauling hay to areas easily accessible, blanketing any animals that can wear blankets and hauling hot water to the water buckets many many times. When that is done I defrost in front of a roaring fire so I can go back out and do it all again. Nicole, can you imagine your herd having to deal with a blizzard, or rather you and your family having to deal with it? My thoughts and prayers going out to the farmers as well as health workers and emergency workers. We have many fiber farms up here, Scot farmers from waay back. They are sturdy and do well with it all. It’s still pretty cold now, below zero, today my horses are sporting frosty beards and I am hauling lots of water. Another storm will arrive in a couple days, this one promises only a few inches but arctic blasts, that usually amounts to seriously cold temps. When not doing extra storm chores I spend my time looking through lovely seed catalogs and planning our gardens. Sewing can wait for mud season, it’s as bad as you imagine Nicole! Boot sucking mud and outrageously dirty equines, one must have a sense of humor. When we were kids it was quite the exciting challenge to get through the barnyard and still have your boots on as they usually got sucked right off our feet and it was still too cold to do it barefoot so we’d keep our socks on. Oh what a mess but we also washed out our own socks in the milk parlor before moms saw them. Sledding and ice skating between chores, snow days from school, as well as working on our record books for our 4-H farm animal projects, those are the blizzard memories as a child.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by brenda1652. Reason: poor spelling!
    LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

However, blizzard notwithstanding, I did go online and ordered some fabric at Girl Friday’s for tops, leggings, and for a few infinity scarves. I am thinking of trying a bathing suit this spring.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I really enjoyed your description @brenda1652. Our stock is far more at risk of dehydration and bush fires.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.